Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Bioethics Discussion Question Chapter 5,6, and 7

Chapter 5 - Donita Should Cooperate with the Police (or should she?)
24. If you were Donita, would you submit saliva and hair samples to the police to help find the murderer? Why or Why not? 
25. List 3 ways in which DNA fingerprints have been used: 
26. Why might someone object to submitting a DNA sample, even if they weren't guilty of the crime? 
27. Why might courts throw out this evidence if the mass DNA screening leads to the arrest of a murder suspect? 
28. Does a DNA test violate a person's privacy? Who should be responsible for storing information about a person's DNA?

cowChapter 6 - John and Elsa Will Profit from Biotech Farming (or will they?)
29. If you were Elsa and John, would you use the hormone on the cows? Why or why not? 
30. What kinds of things are being produced by biotech labs? (List at least 3)
31. Why do animal rights activists object to using BGH on cows? 
32. Why would some people thing that biotech engineers are "playing God"? Do you think this is true? 
33. Chapter Vocabulary (define)
genetic engineering
selective breeding
transgenic

doctorChapter 7 - Dr. Lu's Patients Have the Right to Be Tall (or do they?)
34. Why would Dr Lu feel that one Rico and Tim should be treated differently? 
35. Do you think both boys should receive the hormone or just one (or even neither)? Defend your position. 
36. Why is the term "eugenics" controversial? 
37. Chapter vocabulary (define) 
gene therapy
germ-line therapy

3 comments:

  1. CHAPTER 5
    Yes I would give the police a sample of the hair because that should be very accurate and narrow it down to the suspect and who the suspect is.

    2. List 3 ways in which DNA fingerprints have been used:
    To track criminals
    Identify murder victims
    To identify soldiers killed in combat

    3. DNA samples can give a lot of information and the person might also give a DNA sample so that they won't look guilty.

    4.The courts might throw out the evidence because the case was already solved and the murdered was found already. Keeping the DNA could violate someone's privacy.

    5. No but yes DNA can violate someone's privacy because DNA test can give more information that a fingerprint can. The FBI or the people working on the case should be responsible for storing someone's DNA so that way it can be kept in a more safe place.
    CHAPTER 6
    1. If you were Elsa and John, would you use the hormone on the cows? Why or why not?
    No i wouldn't because I would be messing with the natural balance of nature and something could go terribly wrong with this.

    2. What kinds of things are being produced by biotech labs? (List at least 3)
    There are selective breeding, transgenic plants, and foods that contain vaccines.

    3.Why do animal rights activists object to using BGH on cows?
    They believe in animals living freely and without human chemicals. BGH messes with the natrual flow of things.

    4. Why would some people thing that biotech engineers are "playing God"? Do you think this is true? They messing with the natural flow of things. Yes I do believe this is true. Patience is a virtue and I believe that everything will come to you if you work for it and have patience and you will be rewarded.

    Chapter 6 Vocabulary
    genetic engineering- genetic composition by artificial means

    selective breeding-humans use animal breeding and plant breeding to selectively develop particular phenotype traits

    transgenic- denoting an organism that contains genetic material that has been artificially introduced.

    Chapter 7
    Why would Dr Lu feel that one Rico and Tim should be treated differently?
    She would feel that way because Tim didn't have all the necessary hormones needed vs. Rico who has inherited his height from both his parents.
    2.Do you think both boys should receive the hormone or just one (or even neither)? Defend your position.
    I believe that only Tim should receive the hormone. He wasn't able to get all the proper hormones he needed so now would be a great chance for him.
    3. Why is the term "eugenics" controversial?
    Because eugenic ideas often have been used by people to claim that they are better than others.
    .Chapter vocabulary
    gene therapy: Treating disorders by altering genes.
    germ-line therapy: Treatment that could change the genes you pass on to your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought my life had become meaningless and had nothing to offer anymore as I had HIV, thesymptoms became very severe and bold which made my family and friendsRun away from me and abandoned me, so they won't get infected. I gaveup everything, my hope, dreams, vision and job because theDoctors told me there's no cure. I consumed so many antiviral drugs butthey never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me,It was worse. I was desperate to find solution to this horrible and deadly virus inside me. I made online research on herbal remedy for  HIV/Aids cure when Icame across testimonies of some people on how DR JAMES uses his herbal mix medicine toCured them of UNDERACTIVE THYROID, HIV/AIDS. HERPES VIRUS. CANCER,ALS. HEPATITIS B.DIABETES. HUPAPILLOMALOMA VIRUS DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S, LUPUS, I never believed at first and thoughtit was a joke but later decided to contact him on the detailsprovided and when I messaged him we talked, and he told me on how his herbs and root medicine worksWhich was all okay with me.He sent me his herbal mix medicine and told me the usage and I should go for a test after 3 weeks of drinking the medicineWithin 7 days of his medication the symptomsdisappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I wasNEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DRJames for saving my life and I'll keep onTelling the world about you. If you're out there going through pains, rejection and  facing any kind of health challenges Worry no more and contact DR James via.GREATCUREMAN@GMAIL.COM  / INFO@DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM.He's a good man, and he will surely help you.

    ReplyDelete